Saturday, March 15, 2008

Lights, Camera, Check Book?

.....show business....

 

It's been an eventful week by my standards, and I'm guessing a SUPER week on Melissa DeBaca's chart. That's Melissa up there, a former student. She is an actress.

Why is she beaming? She is "beaming" because she is showing up at the premier of "IN YOUR DREAMS," an independent (indie) movie shot around here.

(Should you be ready to make light of that? Remember that South Park started with two LOCAL guys who decided to poke fun of a 19th century LOCAL guy accused of eating human flesh.)

Now Peggy and I have been to some Indie Premiers where we felt WE should have been compensated for showing up. 

(In fact, we surreptitiously disappeared from one of them right in the middle of the movie. Luckily we were seated in the rear.)

There was no need to crawl out of this one.  I can't think of any better way to say it than it was a TRUE DELIGHT to watch.

First of all, Melissa, who'd I'd praise no matter what, is in FACT, terrific.  She is the leading dreamer, but this was just a terrific ensemble performance. I'm not sure I can give you a comparable to help you relate. 

There is a little bit of a "Neil Simon" nuance going on, but "IYD" is not nearly as predictable. 

"In Your Dreams" dialogue is fresh and seemingly very revealing of a generation about to bloom.  ( I'd say IS revealing of a new generation, but I'm clearly not qualified to make that statement.)

(The producers of Jeanne Ever's concept, Veronica Roland, Erica Jaffe, Rob Rehberg and Sarah Mauldin have all grown up together, and just dedicated a summer to fulfilling a long simmering group vision.)

Now I'm not sure I should even tell you this part, but I'd be a pretty sloppy journalist if I left it out.

Okay, I know you haven't seen this movie and may never see it.  But here are some things that ought to blow your mind. Feature length movie, right?

Production time from concept to DVD? Three months!

Total shooting days? Twelve!

Camera and lighting gear? Donated!

Shoot locations? Donated!

Professional Actor's Pay! Time donated!

Total cost of production?    $400.00 (yeah, the decimal is in the right place.) 

Oh, you could fix some of the audio, maybe touch up a few of the scenes with some fill light.  I might add a dissolve or two here and there, but the editing could go as is.  You know why I think I liked it so much? I think it could get a PG rating without feeling like you were at a Disney movie.

So here I've given it this glowing review? Are you going to run out and see it? Not for a while at least.  You see they took a few "jabs" at Target. And I guess the Target "suspenders" are giving it the once over. Whatever happened to "just spell my name right!"

 

 

Now I know Melissa is going to succeed with her dreams. (By the way she has a new dream guy, former student and actor/musician Matt Daren.)

 

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say we haven't seen the last of the "IN YOUR DREAMS" team. They were just having too much fun.

www.MYSPACE.com/MovieInYourDreams

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to drop by and thank you for visiting my journal and taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.  I enjoyed this entry, for the past year or so I have been enjoying movies on IFC.  I happened upon the channel while looking for something to watch and saw a great movie ~ I've been hooked since then so I don't dismiss the indie films as some do. Mind you some of them can be painful but overall I am enjoying them.  Melissa is a lovely woman, I wish her the best and IYD does find its way to the public.  $400, amazing!
Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/wwfbison/life-on-a-bison-farm