Saturday, March 22, 2008

Nice Legs

I shot (got this picture) this guy about a year ago, and just filed it away.  This past week I came upon it and decided HE should be painted. If you were to see the entire photo frame? You would clearly see his behavior represents a rite of Spring. He's not just up there chasing rainbows.

I hope you join me in being impressed with his flexibility and force.  And I hope it takes you a few seconds to realize what I was forced to face. 

I'm learning that one's best artistic feats come from drawing or painting WHAT one sees.  And if you look at this guy carefully?  Like Peggy did? You might see and say what she did?

"Paul, it only has three legs."

I didn't even notice it when I sketched it.  I went back to the photo I used for the model?  Sure enough there was no fourth leg in the picture.

I won't evaluate the veracity of my short and long term memory at this age.  But I will SWEAR by my emotional memory....and I clearly recall the SENSE of speed and energy being employed by this dude in search of a mate. I just can't believe for a minute he could do that on three legs.

So what do I do? Add a leg for the heck of it?  AND CLASS...that reminds me of a story I tell now and then about an old fellow employee, Andy Schaeffer. 

If I'm repeating myself? Sorry! Paul's Heimers again.

I was with Andy (a news photographer at the time, now in promotions for another TV station) at the old Stapleton Airport in Denver.  Our mission was to get a quick sound bite from then Denver Mayor Federico Pena before he headed on to a Continental Airlines Jet Way for a trip to Washington. 

The station also wanted some shots of the plane backing out and taxing out to the runway.  Well we were late, barely got a shot of the mayor and couldn't get an angle to shoot the plane.  A woman waiting for a later flight was sitting behind us.

She sees Andy's frustration and says kindly, "Why don't you just shoot this plane over here? It looks just like the other one."

The poor woman.  Andy puts his camera down, jumps a row of seats and gets right in this poor woman's face.  He gives her a good five minute lecture on journalistic integrity and honest photography and a whole bunch of other sermons she doesn't deserve.

This is a long way around to tell you I WILL NOT BE ADDING A FOURTH LEG  to old speedy up there. 

Actually Peggy and I have been speculating the antelope is SO flexible he must have that fourth leg tucked up under his right shoulder.  SO?

If you need that fourth? No three legged jokes please! Let's just accept it on faith its up there somewhere.  All we can do is just paint what we see, and see what we paint.  Eh?

Aren't you getting tired of all this POLITICAL COMMENTARY posing as journalism? I am!.

No comments: