Monday, May 14, 2007

What Now?

CAPTION: "Well we sure did it Sona." "We sure did Alyssa." "What do you say we go kick some______" "Okay, that'd be fun."

 

For those of you who visit here plenty, I apologize. Writer's block? I'm not really sure what that is. I can't remember a day of my adult life I haven't written something. But the beauty and the bane of this blogging business is I don't always have to share. And that's not a case of I don't want to share. I always want to share. But occasionally stuff glumps up and I don't think it's appropriate to share glump. And since you aren't paying me you're off the glump hook.

BUT!!! I am about to remedy that. Sometime in the 1980's I write a bunch of short stories that have publisher rejection notices attached to them? It clearly isn't a quality issue since they all arrive back to me un-opened, and unread. There are clearly better ways to go about such things.  Anyway I've never had anybody tell me, "these are c__p." So I'm going to share wth you.

Let me say these stories are all grouped in a volume titled "Life In The Middle Lane."

That's something I know a lot about. My target reader when I wrote them would be either younger or older than most of you. So I suspect I'll get responses wrapped up in nostalgia or suspicion. At least I hope so.

I am not going to start these in THIS posting 'cause the first episode would have to be about a paragraph long. But let me set the stage for this first one.

I attended Metro State's Graduation ceremony yesterday which helped me decide where to begin this adventure. I was lucky enough to have helped raise two stepsons in their formative years. They were great fun to be around. 

But to get to the point, when Mike, the oldest,  turned 17 he was getting very close to graduation from his Catholic high school. Mike has an IQ off the charts, and as he was approaching decision time, his options were everywhere. (He ultimately graduated first in his class at Baylor Law and served as clerk to the Texas Supreme Court right out of  school.)

But that doesn't change the reality we all go through at those academic and employment crossroads we come to. To some degree I suffered right along with Mike as Iwatched him ponder his future. That's what the first story is all about. I call it "Happy Birthday Big Guy."

You'll find the first of it on the next posting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did wonder what had happened to the Nose.  I thought it was something I said.

Anyway, what you are about to undertake takes a whole heck of a lot of ....well, there are a lot of words for what this takes a whole heck of a lot of.  (Sorry about the dangling preposition.)  But whatever the right word is, let me wish you  lots of it.  

Bon courage, mon vieux.  You go, Guy!!!!