Saturday, May 19, 2007

I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing....

Caption: "You got something more exciting than Ketsup? Maybe some SECRET SAUCE?"

I've just decided I am not going to bury the lead. Having lunch with graduates Elisa (she graduated last semester), Eric and Steve the other day? We're talking about memory and a study I read that says for the most part memory loss isn't a loss at all. It's just a case of your memory disc fillng up.

Well Elisa offers up, "No Paul you've just lot all your synapses."

Well Elisa for YOUR information? Last night I swished my first ever LEFT handed free throw. How's that for a SYNAPSE?

Okay, let's get back to that "I'm a Pepper" issue. At first I'm thinking this is just an experiment aimed at youth who've yet to find any real direction in life. Bettter to be a Pepper, than nothing, right? But as the campaign progresses some of the dancers gray. They become all ages, races and sexes. They are no longer just dancing around cable cars. Ther are on the streets of New York, out in the countryside, and they have developed an uncanny ability to dance upside down on ceilings.

I'll confess the thought of dancing on a ceiling just once in my life appeals to me. But not at the expense of spending the rest of my life as a Pepper.

Is there a point to be made here? Probably not. I really don't want "junk food" or advertising to go away. Life without them would border on bland. But how's this?  Just for a week maybe? These "trans fat" folks will be required to tell the truth. Huh?

Well, KFC would have to talk about the "earthy aroma of the bird as it is yanked out of the greasy pressure cooker." Dairy Queen would have to talk about the "chilling sensation  of biting into one of their shakes."  Burger King and Mac Donalds must describe the "icky squishing of their fries as they disintegrate on the tongue." Taco Bell will focus on the "tangy sting of taco sauce that lingers on the lip, and leaves an enduring chemical aftertaste." Wendys could brag about the "well preserved rock hard roll that goes with their salad "  They can all brag about the "syrupy yuck imbibed from the soft (SOFT?) drink machine." 

"Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper, Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Sweetend Lipton Tea, Etal?"

It's just a daydream. It's not going to happen. Still I feel a bit sorry for the guy in the Monster Pick-up going through withdrawal in some alley for want of a pressed chicken sandwich.

Want to have some fun? I search with Dogpile, but Google will work too. Ijust put in, "I'm a pepper."  You can WATCH the ad and know that some times? I hardly hyperbolate at all.  I'm still laughing. 

Wait, I'll just give you the link:

http://www.advertisementave.com/tv/ad.asp?adid=50

 

Oh, and in case you weren't around "I'd like to teach the world to sing" was Coke's attempt at equating human harmony with drinking their concoction. It had even more dancers and singers.

[You can watch some nostalgia versions of it on YouTube.]

 

This time of year in the Northern Hemisphere a good number of us get green thumbs. And for many of us we just should have washed our thumbs and been done with it...but noooo?

Well, that's where we are going next. It's a moderate length tale I title Compelling Growth. I hope you'll drop by and suffer with me.

No comments: