Monday, January 17, 2011

"Ain't she sweet...."



"See her walking down the street."


I don't know you, but my most profound and helpful musing comes while I'm taking a shower. Take this morning for instance. I always get up before Peggy to make sure I know there will be enough hot water to shower in. That, to be clear, has very little to do with the story I'm about to tell. It is just to let you know, let's put in the present tense, I'm in the shower.


Well I've just about used up all the hot water. Peggy saunters into the bathroom and begins grooming her hair. I sense her presence, and just autonomically whistle! And as sometimes happens, when she is in the right mood, she whistles back. What's wrong with this scenario.


Well the fog shrouded shower makes it entirely impossible for either of us to get a glimpse of the other. So what revelation arrives in my cortex?


It must be why God diminishes our vision as we age. It is because, to butcher some Robert Burns verse, it is to keep us from "seeing ourselves as others see us."


Don't you think?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Whistling at each other after many years together is one of the keys to a successful marriage in my book. Who cares about vision? :)