Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Reverie




TEACH YOUR CHILDREN?]


(Crosby, Stills and Nash)


"You, who are on the road,"


What a week! I'll spare you and leave all the gunk out. That gunk was fully overshadowed by the good stuff anyway.


"Must have a code that you can live by."


So one of my perpetual class sermons says, "don't ever give up your dreams. Sure, let them evolve, but don't give them up. And death is the only thing that should stop you from pursuing those dreams. Try your best to leave the planet without any regrets."


"And so become yourself, because the past is just a goodbye."


It is so fulfilling to see someone of any age take those words to heart.


"Teach your children well, the father's help did slowly go by."



This past weekend I took in the campus production of "A Chorus Line." It puts about 25 people on stage with an expectation the actors have had some dance lessons in their lives.


And it is clear in this production many of the performers have been hanging out in tights and tu tus most of their lives. That is certainly true of Kathryn Overturf, one of my former students. ( She tells me 14 years of ballet, etal.)


Too often I've seen Kathryn working back stage during school productions. She is a great organizer and leader. And I know she makes great contributions in those roles. But she is so stately, so poised, SO FUNNY!


"And feed them on your dreams, the one they picks, the one you'll know by."


So I hope it was her "DREAM" to get out front for this show. I'm biased, but I think she nailed the role and the dancing.


And here comes the "Teach Your Parents Well" poster child. If you know the production "Chorus Line, " you know the choreographer has an assistant who puts the dancers through their paces.


"Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you will cry."


The assistant character is played by another former student, Chris Russell. I'm no dance critic, but Chris looks to me like he knows exactly what he is doing. I wonder how many plies he's done in his 22 years.


"So just look at them and sigh, and know they love you."


When the show is over, I hug Kathryn, and shake Chris' hand.


"So Chris how many years have you been studying dance?"


"None! Zip! Zero! Nada!"


"WOW!"


This weekend I've had? It could have easily been the inspiration for the Crosby, Stills and Nash lyrics for "Teach Your Children."


"And you, of tender years, can't know the fears that your elders grew by."


(I have a special affinity for this song. It is the only piece of work I learned on the guitar where I can actually sing along.)


"And so please help them with your youth, they seek the truth before they can die."


Okay, that's Friday night. Saturday night? Well off to the Mercury Cafe, an arsty little spot on the edge of downtown. On this Saturday night food is followed by two sets of jazz and blues from a sextet that includes Nancy Taylor, office manager of the Communications and Arts Department on campus. Playing his alto sax near Nancy, is speech professor Kwesi Curry.


"Teach your parents well, their children's help will slowly go by."


They were just plain having fun. You could see the joy of their hearts in their eyes. I've politely never asked, but I'm guessing Nancy and Kwesi are about my age. And that is important here, because that is my sketch up there. That is one of my dreams pursued later in life.


"And feed them on your dreams, the one they picks, the one you'll know by."


I'm also learning to play the piano, something I've wanted to do since my piano teacher left town 50 years ago. (I only got in two lessons.) (Gee, I noticed they didn't have anybody on keyboard.)


Well, now, following a year of teaching myself, I've found this wonderful teacher (Rosemary Rogers) who totally understands there is no perfect time in life to get going on your dreams. And while I'm only playing in rudimentary form, my fingers have produced the works of Beethoven, Grieg, Mendelssohn, and those two prolific artists Anonymous and Traditional.


"Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry, so just look at them and sigh, and know they love you."



[OKAY, JUST ONE PIECE OF GUNK. AOL HAS INFORMED ME IT IS GETTING OUT OF THE BLOGGING BUSINESS THE END OF THIS MONTH. SO I'VE GOT 29 DAYS TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO MOVE ALL THIS LITERATURE TO ANOTHER SITE. ANY THOUGHTS FROM YOU CHILDREN?]