Thursday, August 9, 2007

So You See It's Like This.....

"What you been up to?", someone queried recently. I'm quite sure they were trying to disguise their disgust over my absence from this forum.

But look, the fall (school) is nigh, it's hot, and I just might not feel like doing this, okay?

But here's the truth, as I see it.  Recently many of my favorite Metropolitan State alumnae have asked for, and been gladly granted my aid and advice. It's a bit rewarding to be RIPE enough to actually have something to say that might help!

But that's only a piece of the truth.

"What have I been doing?"  Drawing!

Most of the women in my family, wife, sisters, neices and some female cousins are artists. At least two of them, my younger sister for one, pretend to make livings at it.

(I'll give you Brenda's web site at the end of this. She is pretty diverse. You'll find something you like.)

I have a late uncle, Gabe, who dabbled in oil. I have a male cousin, Joe, who had a studio in Santa Fe.  So you think it might be in my genes?

I've never been in an art class. I've looked at, but never read an art text. Art History was the only college course that put a 'D' on my transcript. I'm pretty sure I've never, ever drawn a straight line, or recognizable circle.  But I've always wanted to draw. So?

Too many well meaning elders in our societies? They wander around graduation parties telling just matriculated Dustin Hoffman, "Plastics my boy. Get into plastics." Today substitute IT, Pharaceuticals, Insurance, Brokerage for plastics. We are naysayers, and dream killers.   

I preach to all my students. Don't be a "WANNA BE!" Now be flexible, and prepared to adjust your dream as you go. But if you've got a dream? If you wanna be? WELL GO BE! You will never regret it.

So what's something I've always wanted to be? I've always wanted to be a DRAWER, and not the kind you keep your underwear in.

So that's what I've 'BEEN UP TO!"

"I been drawin'!"

Yeah, those are mine up there.

Oh, here's Brenda's web site. Tell her Paul sent you and she'll send me a ten dollar coupon towards an art lesson.

www.brendareinertson.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to take your word for it that you've been drawin' because they (who ever they is) won't let me see your picture. Going to see the site you mentioned. Paula