Thursday, January 26, 2006

"NOW HEAR THIS!"

Flirtatious: "I think your beautiful voice would tame a tapir!"

Real Mood: Negative Ion Induced Extrospective

Prediction: After reading this someone will say, "HUH?"

If you ever purposely want to get into a similar mood, go listen to a Harry Nilsson album.

"Everybody's talkin' at me. I don't hear a word they're sayin'. Only the echos of my mind."

You tell 'em Harry.

Make sure you look at all the pictures before you judge me.

So tommorrow Mozart will be 250 years old.  NPR, National Public Radio tells me so as I'm driving to the store? Right after they tell me that? They play this really upbeat piece from Rossinni?  How do I remember that? Well as I am listening to it?  I look up and see about three different flocks of birds (all different species) dancing to the music? I mean in the wind?  That has me mesmerized?  Then  another flock of birds shows up? All white, probably pigeons or doves? No it turns out to be a bunch of plastic bags? The kind used for sandwiches? Do you think some business left it's trash bin unhinged? You know what? That has me wondering if Mozart was on the Royal "Keep Salzburg Tidy" committee, maybe 240 years ago?  I know that would mean he was only 10, but gosh he was a child prodigy? 

If you don't stop to think, or feel bad? You know everything and everyone seems connected? Push logic, inhibition, anger, fear, and jealousy out of the way?  Boy the World starts making sense. It gets interesting. But most importantly it's incredible what you see, hear and feel.

Yesterday I took my announcing class down to the creek by campus to honor Demosthenes. Why for heaven's sake?  He's the Greek Guy who allegedly put rocks in his mouth so he'd be more articulate? While that has been questioned historically, it's pretty much a given he took his speeches down to the Aegean Sea. There he is said to have developed unbelievable breath control by delivering his speeches while running on the sand.  And his projection range is said to have rivaled microphones as he fought to make himself heard over the roar of the surf.

Now history and hyperbole tend to be dancing partners. But you know something? Even if it's just a pencil between your teeth? Instead of rocks? Even if you are jogging on a concrete bike path instead of sand? Even if you are bellowing to be heard over a man made waterfall instead of the surf?  It works.

Oh, and did you see the ducks that let you get within a few feet of them? Did you see those two women doing step aerobics on the creek wall? Did you feel the negative ions coming off the moving water? Did you see Mount Evans over the top of Invesco Field? Did you see how mad the cyclists were 'cause we were in their way on the bike path?

Well that's just what I absorbed.  You probably got a whole bunch of other interesting stuff.  But wasn't that fun? And weren't you impressed at how well you could be heard when you got back?

GO DEMOSTHENES! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Go Demosthenes?  
My contribution to Mozart - this morning I was listening to Perez Prado?  with Mozart on my mind?  And I got this thought.  What if Mozart met Prez Prado?  And how would that go? -  with shrieking trumpets? and bla-a-atting trombones? and those seductive irrestible percussion things running madly below?  Claves?  Cowbells? Maracas et al?  Those fab drums? Serious crazy rhythms!  I wonder if Mozart would freak into a serious crazy culture shock thing.  And would he recover and love it?  What you tink?