Friday, August 26, 2005

Random Review

Flirtatious: "You look HOT in that seal skin jacket!"

Real Mood? Random

Prediction: Since there have been three major airline crashes in a short period of time, there will be very little coverage of any additional crashes in the near future. (The media feeds itself on the myth that major events happen in threes. To cover a fourth in the same category would challenge the assumption. )

I'm spending a lot of time organizing my mind for classes, so there's not much left over (organization) for this outlet.

It's now been a week since we got off that cruise boat and I still rock back and forth when I hear water running. And speaking of water running? I can't leave the ship without talking about the toilets.

Not that you would expect it, but just in case? There are no urinals. What I need to tell you about are the toilet seats. At least the ones on this ship, are not gender specific.  That means there is no toilet seat up or down issue. You'll have to fight about something else.  The seat is  just here. Here and  big around enough to aim, but maybe a little too big to accomodate the full range of derrieres.  

I know this is not a very comfortable thing to discuss, but it's one of those things they don't tell you about. They should.

What you need to be prepared for is the apparent force needed to process waste at sea.  If you've flown and had a few too many ginger ales, you'll have just an inkling of what I'm talking about.  It's that rather loud WHOOSH...that follows you gently pushing the flush button.  Well, at least on this ship, magnify that sound ten times. If you've stood at the end of a fire hose when the water is released you might be able to relate. But I don't believe there is any life experience that can prepare you for what happens next.

Right at the of the process, this toilet lets out one of the most monstrous screams ever heard by man or woman. I've been thinking hard of a way to describe it. All I can come up with is the squeal of a male seal in heat, with his mouth an inch away from your ear drum.  Yeah, you get used to it because you have to get used to it.  But be prepared to jump and run after your first experience.

I see a weird thing a few days ago on the highway. Someone loses a wheel. I don't know that because I see a car broken down, leaning in the shape of a tripod. No, what I see in the lane next to me is the wheel itself. If my speedometer is somewhat accurate, the wheel is traveling at 50 mph.  There should be praise for the trainer who taught this tire to drive.  It is staying right in the middle of it's lane.

The only problem is that even during rush hour 50 mph is not an appreciated speed for those behind you. I see many unhappy faces. I don't know much about the science of momentum, but I do reach for my cell phone to call some friends at TV stations (who might have some choppers up) so they can catch this TV moment.  Cell phone is dead.  Camera battery is all used up from that ship trip.  You're just going to have to take my word for it.

Sometimes you don't even have to be paying attention to see and hear weird things going on around you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your Blog.  Most entertaining.  And I do ,mean Most!