Sunday, February 27, 2011

Irish Circumlocation


Researchers at Ireland's renowned Trinity College have announced a new breakthrough in Micro Electronics and Nano Technology. They have successfully produced a material that is only an atom thick. As if we needed it, they tell us it could once again revolutionize our electronic lives. How do you know if you're holding something an atom thick? They're hinting Nobel Prize for this breakthrough.


I only bring this up because this is Sunday following a Friday National Election in Ireland? And they are still counting ballots. How? From the video I SAW? BY HAND! Now this is not a criticism. It is just a dilemma.

Let's take this a tire tread further. You have all these great scientific and engineering minds on campus, and yet?

When we flew into Shannon Ireland the end of January, the first leg of our ground trip was by bus. I was absolutely dizzy after going through 9 traffic circles less than a mile apart. Had I been driving?
I'd have ended up back at the airport calling a cab. In retrospect it must be why the Irish tend to be born and stay in the same county. Moving would require a very tight (keep those puns a'comin!) learning curve.



And then when we got to rural parts of Ireland? Most roads are just slightly wider than one lane.


Folks just politely wave to each other with the index finger as one driver races to pull over to the let the other driver by.



They are starting to build some comfortable major highways, but still work in those pesky traffic circles whenever they can.



This all brings to mind an eerie (once again pun intended) parallel in my life. Where do a whole bunch of Irish people live in the U.S.?

I lived just outside Boston for four months in the late 60's. You may or may not know that MIT, maybe the most respected engineering school on the face of the earth, sits on the west side of the Charles River. It looks east across the river at what was then the worst designed traffic scheme in the universe. First thing you hit crossing the river? A traffic circle around Boston Common. To be honest that is just a little pet peeve. Some people like them. But not moi!

Shortly after I'd settled into my apartment in Natick, I bought a car and drove into Downtown Boston. That is when I first saw something called a flashing green traffic light. I stopped only to have everyone honking at me. Someone later explained to me flashing green just meant "go for it."


But that was minor compared to what happened later in the day. On a short tour, the guide explained the unique street patterns in and around Boston. It turns out the engineers who designed the traffic flow in and around the city were COWS.
Boston Common, I was told, is where colonists kept the cattle. And so? Where the cows went? So went the roads. Well that just made me curious.

"I think I'll just take some of those cow paths back home to Natick."

You know how cow paths cross over each other? And when you cross over them, there are no road signs telling you which herd went where? Well those of you who know or live in Boston will enjoy this. I thought I was heading for Natick when I finally reached a sign that read Hyannis Port, 5 miles ahead. For those of you unfamiliar with Boston? Wrong direction, many, many, many miles apart. It was very, very late that evening before I settled into my apartment. "Charlie on the MTA" is fiction. This was real.


Oh, back to the election. For you students of Journalism this is a classic example of burying the lead.

As predicted, Enda Kenny of Fine Gael ( a kind of moderate Republican party) is the new prime minister. Not widely predicted, the Fine Gael party will be sharing power with the Labour party. Platform promises from both parties? Sound familiar? JOBs! I suggest engineering and highway construction jobs, tons of them.
Says Irish native, Phoebe the cat:



" Pssst! Hey, mister! The Irish can not be blamed for the road system in Boston. They weren't there yet"


" True, but I'm thinkin' they were mighty comfortable with it when they got there. Don't ya think?"

1 comment:

The Preppy Princess said...

The 9 traffic circles in less than a mile is pretty funny! I had nary a clue you lived in Boston, and have spent some time in those traffic circles, especially out on the Cape.

Love the putty-tat.