Sunday, October 24, 2010

How Many?







Let's get this started. Mark Twain, a roll model of mine, said over and over again, "there are three kinds of lies, lies, damn lies, and statistics."

He said it so many times, that even though he attributed it to British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli, most people are determined to assign it to Twain.

Let me add to that a quote from my ex-wife Karen. An accomplished lobbyist, she must have said this ten times a day.

"DO YOUR HOMEWORK!"

Like Twain I doubt Karen would take quote creation credit.

What does any of this have to do with Bell, California and its scandal?

Well, I've been doing my homework, and I'm about to share with you some "lies, damn lies, and statistics."

The first harmless lie comes from me. "No one who graduated from Bell High School in the Summer class of 1960 still lives there." I won't declare that an absolute truth fearing there is a straggler hiding in the bushes. Suffice it to say the character of Bell has morphed into a whole new world. And, if we just stick to the conclusion we typically apply to these statistics, the change is not for the better.


Let's look at some of the conclusions drawn by City-data.com. They have pulled their supporting numbers from a number of sources, including the census.


. Median household income is below the state average. ($39,394.00)

. Unemployment percentage is above the state average. (15.7 % April of this year)

. Cost of living index as of 2009 is very high. (162.0 in Bell compared to U.S Avg. 100)

. The size of Bell is 2.48 square miles.

. The population of Bell in 1960 was approximately 20 thousand.

. The population of Bell today is just under 40 thousand.

. Just under 20 thousand of that 40 thousand are foreign born.

. The city is 90 percent Hispanic.


Bell has no theatres. (They had two in 50's, one in the 60's.)

It has four small motels listed ( I didn't see them), no hotels.

The streets are narrow.

Most of the housing stock can be traced back to the 1930's and 1940's.


(They tore our house down in the 70's to make room for a school. My sisters and I argue whether the historical Reinertson site is now in the middle of a parking lot, or a grassy play area of the school. Can't give you a date but my sister Brenda remembers Dad telling us he paid about $2,500.00 for the house in the late 30's. And she remembers him negotiating with the bank and got a $ 25.00 a month mortgage until he could afford to pay $50.00 a month. Thanks to an alleged corrupt city government that house today would be valued at over $400,000.00. My other sister, Theda and her husband Jerry still own property in Bell. They say they HAD noticed taxes seemed to be getting a little high?)


So you can probably guess my level of disappointment as the tour bus inched into town. And you would be WRONG!


Here are some other numbers for you.


Bell has one of the lowest property crime rates in the entire L.A. Basin.


The divorce in Bell rate hovers around 5%.


I saw very few homes that weren't freshly painted, and yards immaculately landscaped.


I know there must be some, but I saw not one spray can's worth of graffiti.


Not everyone on that bus is going to agree with me, but I LIKE THE NEW BELL. It really is SWELL.


And that really raises my indignation towards these city officials ripping off people who they knew were vulnerable. And they were ripping off people who clearly care.


But wait until we get to our trip to Bell High School on Home Coming day. That's coming next.

No comments: