Saturday, January 30, 2010

UMPH!!!



I've been working out at a health club the past couple of months. Just trying to get in shape for life. I'm past the point of having to show up in the middle of the night so no one will see me. Lately I think I've been making some progress....but until yesterday I couldn't know for sure. I can't afford a personal trainer who'd be sure to tell me every day how I am doing.

There are, of course, some indicators that bring hope. For one thing a left hand swing on the arc of your weight scale seems to mean something positive. Oh, and having to punch a new hole to the right on your belt seems to bode well.

And, oh yeah, the 20 year old pair of Levis you stuffed in the back of the closet until some day you might wear them again? Sure they're tight, but now you are not ripping out the seams to get them on.

These revelations at least keep you motivated.

But last night I went from MOTIVATED to "STOKED". Why? Well because here I am working on this machine that pumps up one's deltoids. I'm on my tenth rep of my second set of three. Out of nowhere comes this middle aged guy who is really cut, showing off his "washboard abs." He saunters up to me and I'm thinking he's had a shot of testosterone and is about to say something like, "aren't you a little old to be playing with the big boys?" Instead this is what comes from his lips:

"Excuse me SIR,, would you mind if I worked in with you on this machine?"

As soon as I got my mandibles back in place, I replied, "uh, uh, yeah, not a problem."

First of all the guy asks nice. Second, did you hear that? He calls me SIR! But here's the topper. This guy DOESN'T EVEN INCREASE THE RESISTANCE WEIGHT ON THE MACHINE. WOW, what a night.

I do think positive feedback is the ultimate reward for any hard work. But let me tell you the benchmark I'm really waiting for. What is it you say? Well it is , and you likely guessed it already, WHEN MY "OUTIE" once again becomes an "INNIE". That will be a day to celebrate.

In the meantime I need to go practice saying, "pardon me sir. Would you mind if I worked in with you on this machine?"

Posted by Picasa

No comments: