Saturday, April 18, 2009

Opus Mopus




Remember the big kid that sat in the back of the class not fitting in his seat?
In this case it has nothing to do with the guy being a future offensive lineman with the Raiders. It is a case of the fella being a tad older than the other students? Will he ever graduate?



Well that is my beginners class Spring Piano Recital up there. How did I do? Well a one minute Allegretto duet turned into a two minute Allegretto when I had a brain &%$#* (some kids, I'm told, secretly read this once in a while).
But my teacher Rosemary and I have a plan should something like that happen. We number each measure, and if my mind takes a nap, one of us will whisper a measure number to the other to get us back on track? How'd that work?

On close observation you'd notice my mentor Rosemary and duet partner, wears reading glasses. I, too, wear reading glasses. Glasses don't fail us now.
Rosemary whispers, "Let's start at measure 26."
Problem is she points to measure 20 on my page which looks a lot like measure 22. Well you get the picture. We ultimately get back on track and find ourselves a crescendo.

TONGUE IN CHEEK ALERT:

Result? My concert tour has been put on hold. And my guest solo performances with the Denver Symphony are out. Seems I'm being replaced by fellow pianists Eric,







Elise,




and Nathan (this kid has fingers longer than my legs).


At least it took three of them to replace me.


TONGUE IN CHEEK ALERT IS BEING LIFTED
But the dream is alive.

Impact of the beard? A young pianist and vocalist I'd worked very closely with in the Fall? She taps me on the shoulder and says to me?



"Is that you?"

"Yep!"

She didn't say whether or not she liked it.

Bottom line? I loved the experience, and what a warm feeling I get being accepted by these kids. I'll be back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! They actually look like cute kids - for kids.

Grins & Giggles and Happy Weekend!
sek

Lori said...

I'd love to have heard you, and I think it's great that you're taking up piano!