Saturday, April 30, 2005

Spring Backward

I don't think I ever put beans in my ears, and I thought I'd written the book on stupid kid tricks. I did eat pinion nuts dipped in gasoline! "Why" is a wasted query. "Just Cuz" is the only answer. There are just some things that don't make sense, don't follow any meaningful synaptic path that man or nature designed. ( I may have coined the word synaptic. )  Take today. I think it's the last day in April. Seems to me we just set our clock's forward a few weeks ago. "Okay, class, let's all Spring Forward." So our body clocks are still begging for mercy. We are just about there. We're adjusting to the rooster's new crowing hour. The cow's utter is slowly adapting to colder hands. Baseball is well underway, and we are finally starting to get to work on time. And then somebody, Mother Nature I guess, says, "What the heck, let's spring backward today."

So the "old girl" gives us a high temperature of 36, about five inches of snow on top of the green grass and tulips, knocks the pink and purple blossoms off the flowering trees, slops up the roads the day after we got  all our cars washed. I could go on. Ask her, "Why?" I think I heard her say, "Why do kids put beans in their ears?" (that's a whole different song from "The Fantastiks.")

It wasn't a total loss. My wife was noticing what she termed the varying shades of white. Okay. I did see a man walking with his prancing Great Dane in the park. It makes one really appreciate beige. I'd like to look on the bright side, but here's the topper. They are starting to announce water restrictions for the summer because of the drought. I'm thinkin' the guy who announces "drought" lives in a high rise with a cactus on his balcony. I think he is the same guy who dreamt up daylight savings time. It's all non sequiter, don't make no sense, stranger that a kid puttin beans in his ears.

Speakin' of vegetables my elder sister suggested I toss in some stuff from our youth. I do remember when dad, a fireman working 24 on, 24 off, was remodeling the house. So one 24 off he has put up the lath, and then plastered the lath for a new ceiling in a new bedroom. Well on his 24 on I thought it would be fun to aim my pea shooter at the wet plaster.  He'd never know because the peas would be hidden the plaster. Well that logic might have worked but for the chemical reaction taking place when the  plaster hardened. It heats up,by golly. And it makes peas sprout. Looked pretty cool, but I don't think he thought so.

Jim Croce knew logic. " Don't step on Superman's cape, don't spit into the wind." I'll add, "don't shoot peas into plaster."

But I guess it's still okay to put beans in your ears. Not everything can make sense.

No comments: